Monday, December 3, 2012

Meatless Monday: Grandma's Wheat Pancakes


It was a fun weekend. Sunday was Chad's half birthday. We are not the people that celebrate half birthdays or even know when our half birthdays are or any of that jazz. Which made Sunday that much more surprising, it was Chad's half birthday.




I woke up early and let Chad sleep as I ran around the house decorating, baking a cake and setting up a mini scavenger hunt that ended in our living room. I was going to decorate our guest room.... but then Penny peed on the bed. Then I was going to decorate our bedroom.... but then we were naughty and skipped church so Chad was in the bedroom sleeping. This made the scavenger hunt pretty anticlimactic as he went from the guest room back and forth to the bedroom a couple times and then finally downstairs to the action. We had a fun day celebrating his pretend birthday, eating cake and relaxing from the week!



As a side note does anyone watch The Walking Dead? OMG. That is all.

My Grandma makes the best whole wheat pancakes. Now she has a wheat grinder down in the basement which made her wheat pancakes even more rockin'. But they are pretty darn good even with the regular ol' whole wheat from the store.


Pancakes seem like one of those things that should be a no brainer, but we haven't had the best of luck making them. I love the pancake mixes but to help out the grocery budget I leave it out since we already have everything we need to make them! Somehow though they always end up too thick and dense and blegh.


Finally I remembered that I had my grandmother's recipe and Wa-la! Tasty, light, fluffy and nutty whole wheat pancakes. I don't have any of her homemade choke cherry syrup, but I did have some strawberries and raspberries already blended up for yogurt. I warmed that up and along with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and syrup, it was a great Saturday morning breakfast.


Grandma Portela's Whole Wheat Pancakes


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/4 c coarse Wheat Flour - I just use more regular whole wheat flour again
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 3 T honey or sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 c milk
  • 3 T oil
  • 2 stiff egg whites
Directions:
  1. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
  2. Mix remaining ingredients together
  3. Fold in egg whites
  4. Cook on a hot griddle! Makes 16 pancakes

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I don't do the half birthday either, but one year I did as a joke - it was actually pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right though!? It really was the perfect way to surprise someone!

      Delete