Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cleaning with Pinterest

I L-O-V-E Pinterest. Just like everyone else. I have a board full of clothes that I will never own, desserts that I will (hopefully) never eat, at least not all of them, and one for the baby that is no where near existence.

I also have a board for cleaning. I hate that I'm supposed to have a cleaner for everything. One for the windows, one for the kitchen, one for the counters, and so on. I never seemed to have any of them and ended up cleaning everything with windex.

So I started pinning cleaning tips and how to make your own cleaners. Sooo much easier I thought. Except that they all called for things that I didn't have or really want to try to find. People said they were expensive but worth it because it made so much, and really cheaper in the long run. I'm looking for cheaper in the short run folks. At this point I'll just stick with my windex thank you very much.

Then I found my solution! Check it out! Vinegar. Hydrogen Peroxide. Baking Soda. Olive Oil. Done. I already have it all and it's cheap. Bonus.

I've got my vinegar solution that will clean anything, my hydrogen peroxide for the bathrooms, along with the Baking Soda if I need some extra scrubby power, and Olive Oil to polish up the few wooden pieces that we have. They work awesome!

So if you are looking for a way to cut chemicals or cut costs or just simplify the number of bottles hiding under your sink, give these a try!

Vinegar
              For 3 cups of water I put in 4 Tablespoons of Vinegar. This solution is fantastic, It cut through   and cleaned things up that other chemicals we've got hadn't touched. Who knew? I even sprayed it all over the floor and went over it with my Swiffer, sparkling clean floors!
Hydrogen Peroxide
     Buy a bottle of regular ol' Hydrogen Peroxide and replace the cap with a spray cap. I've used this on mirrors, the bathtub, and toilet. I wasn't so sure this would work as well as my beloved Windex on my mirrors but it's a champ and worked great!
The only thing that I couldn't get clean was the toilet. We have been cursed with gunky, gross, dirty apartment toilets. Hydrogen Peroxide just ain't gonna cut it. It your toilet hasn't been used and abused by dirty apartment folk it will probably do the trick though. 

    Baking Soda
    When the Hydrogen Peroxide just isn't cutting it use this! Sprinkle this around and scrub away. It'll help to get rid of any stuck on stains or problem spots!
Olive Oil
I was most impressed by this trick. I put a little Olive Oil on a rag and used it to polish up our coffee table and desk. They look great. All shiny and beautiful. Super easy. Who doesn't have this already in their pantry? Just remember that a little goes a long way! 

What about you? Help us all out and share any tricks you've picked up along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment